John C. Haines School

Print

John C. Haines School, corner of 23rd Place and Princeton Avenue

The original Haines School was founded in the 1890s.  It educated several generations of Chinese-American children after the community moved from the Loop to the South Side in 1912.  Many of those children were in the kindergarten classes taught in the 1930s-1960s by Olga Huncke, a German-American who is still revered by her former students -- whether of Chinese, Italian, or other ethnic origins -- as a concerned teacher and inspiring advocate of cultural inclusiveness.  The original brick building was replaced in the early 1990s by a larger steel-framed structure.  In 2005, it had 741 students in kindergarten through 8th grade, of whom more than 80 percent were Asian/Pacific Americans.


Haines School